While summer is the time to enjoy basking in the sun, there are still chores that need to be done. A home maintenance checklist is essential for your home’s upkeep. Simple tasks such as checking the exteriors, appliances, heating and cooling system, plumbing, and electrical will help you address issues sooner and keep your home at its very best. If any jobs go beyond your capacity or involve repairs, make sure to call for professional help.
Here are six summer to-dos that you can add to your home maintenance checklist to get the most of this season.
Pool. If you have one, do your best to keep it clean. Check the surface frequently and keep debris or leaves out of the water. Scrub once or twice a month to control the growth of algae. Keep an eye on the water level and regularly check the filter basket and chemical levels weekly.
Garden. Manage the weeds weekly. Your mower should be your best friend during the summer. Please set it to the highest setting, so it does not cut the grass too short. Water the plants, remove dead leaves, flowers, and others. These steps will not only keep your garden tidy but keep your plants healthy as well.
Sprinkler System. Your plants will need an extra shower during the hot summer. Check the operation of your sprinkler system or hire a landscaper if required.
- Turn the sprinklers on, one at a time.
- Walk around and see that sprinkler heads are upright.
- Look for clogs. Clean out the valves. Leaky pipes may need replacement.
- Check to see if the spray is wide enough and not blocked by foliage.
- Check the timer. If you turn it on, you should see the gears moving through the small window. Otherwise, check the breaker where the timer is connected and turn it off and back on again.
- If you notice leaks from one or multiple zones at once, reduced water pressure, pooling water, or pump buzzing, these are usually signs of cracked underground pipes. It also means that it’s time to call a plumber.
Exterior. Summer is the best time to repaint the siding, trim, doors, and windows, repair decks or porches, and get these outside areas ready for the day to evening enjoyment.
Air-Conditioning. Clean your air-conditioning filters regularly. At least once a month at the least, especially if you run the A/C a lot.
Pest control. You love your home. But, termites, ants, mice, and other pests like it too. Some infestation may be easy to resolve with a spray and thorough cleaning. However, different types of infestation, such as termites, demand professional action. At Endgame Home Inspections, we offer Thermal imaging Inspection, which is extremely helpful in detecting wood-destroying insect activity. It would be best if you also were diligent in taking steps to reduce the risk of infestation. Look around and seal holes where mice and cockroaches may get in.
Maintaining your home is much easier than paying for significant repairs. With a home maintenance checklist, you will be able to keep your home in tip-top shape, maintain its value, and ensure you and your family’s safety. This list is not extensive, but performing simple maintenance tasks on your home can prevent expensive problems down the road.